Thursday, March 12, 2009

Research

I'm very interested in the way space can be manipulated to result in different types of spaces. For example, this first photo is a simple water run-off that has been slightly modified to be far more fun to skate, it reminds me of the subversive art of Banksy where the more slight the modification in the piece, the more dramatic the effect is...


I recently spent time with Jeff King who stars in "Built to Shred" a tv show about spot-modification on Fuel TV. In the time I spent with Jeff I saw him transform junk metal into skate-obstacles, pouring concrete to permanently change a space, he even brought in snowblowers to turn his southern california home into a ski resort complete with jumps off of the roof. When Jeff or any other skater look at space, we look at it for potential in a way that someone who doesn't skateboard will never see. A simple swimming pool or jersey barrier between lanes on the freeway are pure potential...

No comments: